Dental amalgam fillings, which are made with a mixture of mercury, silver, copper, tin, and sometimes zinc, are still used in the United States and a number of other countries. Often called “silver fillings,” all dental amalgams are 45-55% elemental mercury. Mercury is toxic, and this poison is recognized as a chemical of major concern because it poses a dangerous threat to public health. Mercury accumulates in the body, and any amount of mercury taken into the body should be considered hazardous.
The use of mercury in dental amalgam fillings poses serious risks to human health, and dental mercury released into the environment can cause long-lasting damage to wildlife. The IAOMT is dedicated to sharing dental mercury facts so that professionals and consumers can recognize the threats of amalgam fillings.
Learn the Essential Dental Mercury Facts
Learn the most essential dental mercury facts by using these resources from the IAOMT: