Thursday, September 5, 2013
Fundamentals of Biological Dentistry
Registration: 8:00 a.m.
Meeting: 8:30-5:00 p.m.
William Virtue, DDS, AIAOMT and Joe Palmer, DMD, AIAOMT present the “Fundamentals of Biological Dentistry.” It is a “how to” presentation on setting up and operating a biological dental practice. It also covers all the basics of “mercury 101-102.” Dr Virtue also discusses the equipment needed to run a mercury-free practice. David Kennedy, DDS, MIAOMT, a world leader in the fluoride issue, gives a presentation on fluoride, and on biological periodontal therapy. This special presentation is a must for all new members and those who want to stay current on these issues. Whether you are new to biological dentistry or have been practicing for years, you will find this course exceptional.
There are separate registration and fees associated with this course.
1st Attendee $200
Each Add’l Person $150
Friday, Symposium September 6
8:30-9:30 – G. Mark Richardson, PhD “Chemical Exposures and Risks Posed by Common Dental Restorative Materials”
1. Discuss and compare the exposures and risks of chemical components of restorative materials.
2. Learn about mercury, bisphenol-a, and various metallic ions.
9:30-10:30 – Ann Griffen, DDS, MS ”The Human Microbiome and Oral Diseases”
1. Know the purpose and major findings of the Human Microbiome Project
2. Understand the microbial dynamics of dental caries progression
3. Understand the polymicrobial nature of chronic periodontitis
4. Understand microbial functional redundancy and inter-individual microbial heterogeneity
5. Understand oral microbial ecology and the specificity of the human oral microbiome
11:00-12:00 – Walter Jess Clifford, MS “Risk Factor Reduction Due to Materials and Biota with Proper Galvanic Management”
1. Basic nature of electrochemical activity produced by poor materials selection/combinations.
2. Effects of ionized components on restoratives, oral structure and biota.
3. Oral galvanic influence remote to the oral cavity.
4. Materials that do not get along well galvanically.
Friday Afternoon Breakout Sessions
1:30-2:15- Lisa Matriste, DDS “Mercury Madness”
1:30-2:15- Jorge Flechas, MD & John Wilson, MD “Proper Palpation of the Thyroid Gland”
1:30-2:15- Gerry Curatola, DDS “Using Media and PR Effectively for Ethical Change in Dental Practice”
2:30-3:15- Lillian Ebuen, DMD, AIAOMT “Solutions to Dealing with an Infected Tooth”
2:30-3:15- Jorge Flechas, MD & John Wilson, MD “Proper Palpation of the Thyroid Gland”
2:30-3:15- Brian Midei, DDS “Introducing the XERO STICKTM. A Novel New Way to Promote Salivation, Hydrate the Mouth, and Improve Oral Health”
3:30-4:15- Kindal Robertson, DDS, AIAOMT “IAOMT Position Statement Against Dental Mercury Fillings CPG Submission April, 2013″
3:30-4:15- Lou Trovato, DDS “Ozone Cases”
3:30-4:15- Naren Arulrajah “Eight Marketing Steps Every Dentist Should Take to Dominate their Market Online!”
4:30 -Speakers Forum
6:00 -Welcome Reception
Saturday, Symposium September 7
8:30-9:30- James B. Adams, PhD “Dental Amalgams, Toxic Metals, and Autism”
1. Learn about the study “The Release of Mercury from New Mercury Amalgam Dental Material”
2. Learn of the increased levels of toxic metals and decreased gluathione in children with autism.
3 Learn the reults of a chelation treatment study with DMSA.
9:30-10:30- Michael Aschner, PhD “What can be learned from worms about gene x environment interactions?”
1. Understand the interaction between loss-of-function or gene knockout and mercuy toxicokenetics and toxicity
2. Appreciate the utility if complimentary animal models in deciphering mercury toxicity
3. Appreciate cellular responses to mercury with emphasis on stress related transcriptional activation of enzymes that protect and repair cellular macromolecules
11:00-12:00- Boyd Haley, PhD, MIAOMT
12:00-1:30 – Lunch
1:30- 2:30- Bobbie Beckman, DDS “Zirconia Implants”
1. Know the physical particularities of Zirconia compared to Titanium.
2. Different forms of Zirconia implants and various prosthetic solutions.
3. Research Results.
4. Reliability, how long do they last?
2:30- 3:30- Jorge Flechas, MD “Boron and Oral Health”
1. At what point in the dental exam would you consider a lack of boron to be present.
2. Boron deficient bones have altered healing.
3. Lack of boron to all joints increase the rate of arthritis in all the body.
4. Lack of boron gives problems with osteoporosis inall bones and mandible.
3:30- 4:00- Break
4:00- 5:00- Barrie Tan, PhD “Tocotrienols: Vitamin E Beyond Tocopherols”
1. Learn the history of Vitamin E tocopherols and tocotrienols.
2. Learn their differences and use.
3. Examine tocotrienol’s application in chronic conditions.
5:00- Speakers Forum